Drywall repair can be a straightforward approach that just about any homeowner can discover to complete. Given that homes right now are built with lumber inferior to that of generations past, movement of drywall from warping and shrinking within the home's framing causes a variety of drywall-related troubles. Therefore, several homeowners will must repair corners, cracks, screw pops, tape seams, and other drywall imperfections that accrue over time. Additionally, harm from water intrusion, household accidents and typical wear and tear necessitate a periodic drywall repair to maintain the walls looking good, specially just before they're painted.
Drywall Repair Tools and Supplies
Go to your nearby house improvement store and acquire:
(1) 4" Drywall Knife
(1) 12" Stainless Steel Mud Pan
(1-qt) All-Purpose Joint Compound
(1) Drywall Sanding Sponge
(1-qt) Latex-Based Drywall Primer
(1) 2" Angle-Tipped Paint Brush
1. Based on the amount of drywall repairs needed, get rid of an appropriate quantity of joint compound (or "mud," as it is frequently referred to) from the plastic tub using your 4" drywall knife and scrape it off into your 12" mud pan. The thought here is usually to maintain the joint compound fresh so that is doesn't dry out-so only take as a lot mud out as it is possible to use within 10 minutes. Otherwise, "chunks" of drywall mud develop, making your drywall repair a lot more hard.
2. Briefly function the drywall mud back and forth in your pan a couple of times-like you'd knead bread dough. This removes air from the mud to assist lessen bubbles once you location it on the wall.
three. Apply a thin coat of drywall mud towards the crack or dent. Use the knife to scrape the mud flush using the surrounding surface of the drywall. It really is better to apply 2 or three thin coats of mud (permitting each coat to dry in between applications) versus one thick coat. 1 of the much more frequent mistakes I see with drywall repair is mud that's applied too thick. This rarely outcomes in a good surface and makes for additional time and mess throughout the sanding phase.
four. Enable the mud to dry. Dry time is extremely influenced by sort and brand of compound, thickness and amount of mud application, too as ambient temperature and humidity of the room. If you want to accelerate dry time, grab a hair dryer to dry the location (as seen in this picture of my craftsman Drew).
5. When the drywall mud is totally dry, place a drop cloth beneath the region of drywall repair, as you're going to create a mess subsequent! Use your sanding sponge to sand the location flush with the remaining wall. Use lighter pressure as you finish to steer clear of gouging or scratching up your function. Some people like to have a buddy hold a shop vacuum up to the region to suck up all of the drywall dust even though they function. Should you determine to complete this make sure you might have a drywall dust or HEPA filter installed-otherwise you will just end up blowing the dust all through the room.
6. Take a damp paper towel or cloth to wipe down the drywall repair to eliminate any remaining dust. You can also use a wet cloth or sponge to "wet sand" the region to obtain an extra smooth effect, if desired.
7. Utilizing your little paintbrush, apply a light coat of primer towards the drywall repair. This may seal the joint compound, hide the repaired area, and prepare it to accept paint.
8. When painting the drywall repair, I suggest painting an entire section of the wall, if achievable. Even though you might have left over paint from when the wall was originally painted, or bought new paint with identical formula as the original, it is unlikely to match. Walls age and collect dirt as time passes, altering their look and color. Hence, in case you can paint a whole section of the wall, as much as a corner or seam, the distinction of "new" versus "old" paint is less visible.
9. This really is by far the top portion of the job: stand back, admire your function, and brag to all your buddies and household how handy you are!
There are currently no comments on this post. Be the first one!